Edouard Vuillard Galleries
Jean-Edouard Vuillard, the son of a retired captain, spent his youth at Cuiseaux (Saone-et-Loire); in 1878 his family moved to Paris in modest circumstances. After his father\'s death, in 1884, Vuillard received a scholarship to continue his education. In the Lycee Condorcet Vuillard met Ker Xavier Roussel (also a future painter and Vuillard\'s future brother in law), Maurice Denis, musician Pierre Hermant, writer Pierre Veber and Lugne-Poe. On Roussel\'s advice he refused a military career and entered the Ecole des Beaux-Arts, where he met Pierre Bonnard.
In 1885, Vuillard left the Lycee Condorcet and joined his closest friend Roussel at the studio of painter Diogene Maillart. There, Roussel and Vuillard received the rudiments of artistic training. Related Paintings of Edouard Vuillard :. | Under the desk lamp of conversation | The woman | Yvonne Printemps and Sacha Guitry | Two British friends | Public Gardens.Little Girls Playing and The Examination |
Related Artists:BOTH, Andries
Dutch Baroque Era Painter, ca.1612-1641
Andries Both (1612/1613, Utrecht - March 23, 1642, Venice) Dutch genre painter, one of the bamboccianti, and brother of Jan Dirksz Both.
Both was the son of a glass painter, and studied under Abraham Bloemaert. According to Joachim von Sandrart, Andries and his brother Jan cooperated on the paintings, with Jan painting the landscapes and Andries the figures, though this view has been revised in the 20th century. Andries stayed in Rouen in 1633, and he traveled on to Rome, where is documented from 1635 to 1641. He first shared a studio with a fellow painter from Utrecht, Jan van Causteren. In 1638 his brother joined him, living on the Via Vittoria in the parish of San Lorenzo in Lucina and perhaps both joining the Accademia di San Luca and the group of painters led by Pieter van Laer. In 1641 the brothers traveled back to Holland, but Andries met his death in Venice on the way, drowning in a canal as he was returning from some festivities.Edmund Tull
(1870 - 1911) was a Hungarian artist born at Szekesfeherver. He was educated at Budapest, Milan, and Paris, being in the last-named city a pupil of J. P. Laurens and of B. Constant. His first work, "The Cathedral of Notre Dame," attracted attention at the exposition in Budapest in 1896, while his etchings are especially valued in London and Vienna. His best-known works are: "Peasant Mowing," "A Lane in Dort," and "The Island of Capri," in the historical art museum of Budapest; and "The Smithy," owned by Archduchess Isabella.
Pirosmani was born in the Georgian village of Mirzaani to a peasant family in the Kakheti province. His family owned a small vineyard. He was later orphaned and put in the care of his two elder sisters. He move with them to Tbilisi in 1870. In 1872 he worked as a servant for wealthy families and learned to read and write Russian and Georgian. In 1876 he returned to Mirzaani and worked as a herdsman.
Pirosmani gradually taught himself to paint. One of his specialties was painting directly into black oilcloth. In 1882 he opened a workshop in Tbilisi which was unsuccessful. In 1890 he worked as a railroad conductor, and in 1895 worked creating signboards. In 1893 he co-founded a dairy farm in Tbilisi which he left in 1901. Throughout his life Pirosmani, who was always poor, was willing to take up ordinary jobs including housepainting and whitewashing buildings. Although his paintings had some local popularity (about 200 survive) his relationship with professional artists remained uneasy; making a living was always more important to him than abstract aesthetics.