(1610, Prague - July 30, 1674, Prague) was a Czech Baroque painter.
Karel learnt painting perhaps from one of the masters at the royal courtyard. He studied in Saxony and in Italy. According to Houbraken he painted portraits and lived together with the respected watercolor painter Willem Bouwer in Rome. He became a member of the Bentvueghels with the nickname Slagzwaart or Slach-sweerd.According to the RKD he was the teacher of the Prague painter Johann Georg Heinsch (1640-1713).
Since 1638 he lived in Prague, where he worked on altarpieces for many churches, for example St. Thomas, St. Stephen or the Church of Our Lady in front of Týn.
Related Paintings of Karel skreta :. | Landscape | Portrait of Charles IV | Our Lady Hodegetria | Portrait of Thomas Greene | Yileyatei |
Related Artists:Matteo Di Giovanni
Italian Early Renaissance Painter, ca.1430-1495John Smibert
John Smibert Gallery
John Smybert (or Smibert) (1688 - 1751), Scottish American artist, was born in Edinburgh and died in Boston, Massachusetts.
He studied under Sir James Thornhill, and in 1728 accompanied Bishop Berkeley to America, with the intention of becoming professor of fine arts in the college which Berkeley was planning to found in Bermuda. The college, however, was never established, and Smybert settled in Boston, where he married in 1730.
In 1731 he painted "Dean George Berkeley and His Family," also called "The Bermuda group", now in the Yale University Art Gallery, Yale University, a group of eight figures; it is maintained that the person furthest to the left is actually the artist himself. He painted portraits of Jonathan Edwards and Judge Edmund Quincy (in the Boston Art Museum), Mrs Smybert, Peter Faneuil and Governor John Endecott (in the Massachusetts Historical Society), John Lovell (Memorial Hall, Harvard University), and probably one of Sir William Pepperrell; and examples of his works are owned by Harvard and Yale Universities, by Bowdoin College, by the Massachusetts Historical Society, and by the New England Historical and Genealogical Society.
Portrait of Edmund Quincy, attributed to John Smybert
Plaque at Granary Burying Ground in Boston commemorating SmybertBetween 1740-42, he served as architect for the original Faneuil Hall, which he designed in the style of an English country market. The hall burned down in 1761 but was restored, and then in 1806 greatly expanded and modified by Charles Bulfinch.
His son Nathaniel was also a painter. Smybert lies in an unmarked grave in the Granary Burying Ground in Boston.Giovanni Stanchi
Italian, 1608-died after 1673